Social Icons

Health in the Fast Lane

Saturday, June 7, 2014

   Happy weekend!

   Instead of a TGIF cocktail, how about we mix things up with a deliciously cool and creamy weekend green smoothie?


   It's no secret that everyone nowadays is way busier and time crunched than we would prefer. We all have jobs or families (or both), passion projects, health goals and much more stretching us ever thinner every day. I think it is easy to look at popular health gurus and think 'well, if it were my singular job to look fabulous and well rested I could do it too!' I will fully admit that I am sometimes guilty of this too- after all it can feel like I'd rather have hot coals raked over my body than exercise after a long and possibly frustrating day at the hospital.

   But the secret is that we all have the ability to find a spare moment or two to help our bodies and minds out. Maybe we have to be creative to find those moments, and maybe we have to chose our health and well being over, say, an extra 30 minutes of TV at the end of the day, but those small choices add up to a big reward and major happiness in the long run.


   For me, getting as many nutrients as possible into my body first thing in the morning helps me start everything out on the right foot- whether it be work, a day off or even a vacation. Suddenly energy isn't a question and my focus is spot on for as many hours as I please. It may be a little bit of a bummer that I don't have time to sit down to a relaxing, mindful breakfast followed by a leisurely meditation to start my day, but carrying a big travel cup of major nutrition into work is pretty dang awesome too.

   Green smoothies boost your morning in a huge way; I can't encourage experimenting with these beauties enough. I've read that a 2 cups fruit to 2 cups leafy greens is the best ratio, but I actually prefer 1 1/2 to 2 cups fruit to at least 4 cups leafy greens. Experiment and find your own sweet spot- I bet you will find that over time you prefer your smoothies greener rather than fruitier. Either way, don't sweat it, as Jason Vale once said "If your major vice is an extra bit of banana you're in uber good shape!!"


   As far as exercise goes, those of you who know me know that this is always a work in progress. My motto is a little is better than nothing and I try to remind myself of that as often as I can. I squeeze in a quick walk after lunch (my schedule at the hospital allows for this maybe 3 out of every 5 days), do tricep dips in my office chair and follow that with 30 to 40 squats (door closed and officemates no where to be seen, of course!). It may be years before I have gobs of free time to explore all the cool yoga and fitness classes and hobbies that I want, but in the meantime I remember that lots of little efforts add up to big results.

    And remember: enjoy!

Strawberry Banana Green Smoothie (with vegan option)
Serves one

6 frozen strawberries
1/2 frozen ripe banana (use the whole banana if you prefer your smoothie on the sweeter side)
1 cup unsweetened plain kefir 
1/4 cup cold water
4 cups spinach, well packed

   Place the ingredients in your high speed blender in the order listed. Blend on high until perfectly smooth.
   Dairy free/vegan option: replace the kefir and water with 1/2 cup full fat, unsweetened coconut milk and 1/2 cup water and add half a peeled lemon to the smoothie.
  
 

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I discovered your blog after a comment you left on Gena's site. Other than both reading her blog, we have a few things in common. I recently finished my AP residency and fellowship and also have a healthy foods blog. :) I look forward to reading more of your posts. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Janet! Wow, I'm so psyched to meet a kindred spirit! Thanks for stopping by and I'm very much looking forward to checking out your blog :)

      Delete