Social Icons

How Green It Is

Monday, May 5, 2014

There is a reason death is so difficult to confine to words. It defies description and confounds the mind. It's permanent yet elusive- at times devastating, at times a mournful, expected price to a happy and fully lived life.

I won't pretend to have an eloquent summation of what death means handy for you today. But I have experienced both kinds of losses this year- the unexpected and devastating, the quietly mournful and expected. Neither is welcome, both are hard. Both require time and more time to figure out how to assimilate into something resembling the fabric of your life. Sometimes it never quite fits and always stands out- like a starkly bare patch amidst an otherwise lushly cultivated garden.


Either way, often times our only defense during hard times is a resilient body, one that can weather the storm for us while our minds reel about for a while. My go to source of energy and nutrition dense enough to effortlessly carry me through my day recently has been breakfast green smoothies. It's taken me a little bit to solidly get on the green smoothie band wagon but now that I'm here, holy heck am I converted. All this green smoothie goodness is made possible by my brand new Vitamix blender (a kitchen implement I've been drooling over for at least five years: drawn by its sleek power, repulsed by its offensive but obviously worth every penny price). I finally took the plunge and found a way to get one of those babies into my life and I am so thankful I did.

There is something deeply calming and satisfying about sipping a glass teeming with such vibrancy and flavor first thing in the morning. Not only do smoothies like this one taste like life itself, but they feed the soul in a peaceful, almost meditative way.


Tomorrow I get on a plane for a funeral and I know this green beauty will keep me energized and grounded during the flight and difficult next few days.

I almost didn't write this post- too sad, too dark for a place I associate with happiness, life and good food- but I think it's important to acknowledge the bitter as well as the sweet. And mostly I wrote this because I hope you make one of these smoothies for yourself soon and take a moment to appreciate the power of a strong and nourished body in the face of hard times.

Also, it's jasmine season here in the south. Sweet, heady heaven.


Green Warrior Smoothie
Serves 1
 
3 small leaves green curly kale, destemmed and stems discarded
4 cups fairly well packed baby spinach
1/2 cup full fat unsweetened coconut milk (this brand is my favorite)
1 cup cold water
1 1/2 cups fresh pineapple

Load the ingredients into your blender in the order listed. Blend on high until perfectly smooth. Drink through a straw- this increases the happiness factor.

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!